Heritage Niagara

Fort Mississauga

Location

223 Queen Street
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario
L0S 1J0
Niagara

Next Event

No upcoming events
Loading Map....

Fort Mississauga was constructed by British forces in 1814 to replace Fort George, which had been destroyed by the invading American forces in 1813 during the Battle of Fort George.  Formerly the site of the first lighthouse in Upper Canada, Mississauga point held a commanding view of Lake Ontario and the Niagara River, and served as a counterpoise to Fort Niagara. The central tower was built in part from the remains of the lighthouse which was dismantled by the British, as well as bricks salvaged from the town after it was burned by retreating American forces in December, 1813.

Upcoming Events

No events in this location
Skip to content